- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 150g plain flour (sieved)
- 150g self raising flour (sieved)
- 1 tsp baking flour
- 130g cold butter, cubed
- 90g caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1sp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 150g mixed dried fruit (currants, raisins, sultanas)
- 50ml of milk
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- pinch salt
- Glace sherries and blanched almonds to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 200c, gas mark 6
- Sieve both flours and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour until the mixture is like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, citrus zests, fruit, spices and mix very well.
- Add the beaten egg and enough milk (~50ml) to make it a soft dough, sticky-ish.
- Form into 6 suacer sized round shapes, about 2cm tall.
- Mix the egg yolk, water and salt together and brush over the fat rascals. Decorate with the cherries and almonds. Transfer to nonstick baking tray and bake for 15-20mins or until golden brown.
Serve warm with butter.
Can be frozen and reheated in a low oven.
Enjoy. Paul :-)