- 300ml cold tea ( a strong brew of nice tea...)
- 130g sultanas
- 230g currants or raisins
- 60g mixed peel
- 200g light brown sugar
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- Place the cold tea (that has been previously brewed for 5-10 mins) in a bowl. Add the dried fruit. Cover with cling film and leave 12-24hrs to soak. Stir a few times if possible.
- Preheat oven to 180c/gas 4
- In a mixing bowl - mix together the sugar, flour, beaten egg, nutmeg, and add the soaked fruit with the remaining tea-liquid, until well mixed.
- Transfer the mix to a well oiled/buttered loaf tin.
- Bake for 1hr 20 to 1hr 40 until risen and set (in a fan oven you may want to cover with parchment paper for half the cooking time to stop it burning)
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Serve once cooled. Store in an air tight tin.
Variant: Once cooked but still warm, glaze with a tablespoon of honey.